The limited-edition model kit recreates the Me262 which was the first jet fighter to ever be deployed into combat. The kit includes Tamiya’s first ever 1/48 scale military ground vehicle, the Kettenkraftrad, which toed the Me262 A-2a at airfields during the war.
About the Messerschmitt Me262 A-2a
The Me262 A-2a was the fighter/bomber version of the Me262. When Allied bombing raids on the German homeland were rapidly intensifying, the Luftwaffe proposed the hastened deployment of the revolutionary Me262 A-1a jet fighter/interceptor. However, Hitler issued strict contrary orders prioritizing the deployment of the A-2a fighter/bomber version of the Me262. In June 1944, deployment of the A-2a fighter/bomber began. The A-2a was equipped with only two 30mm MK108 guns (compared to the A-1a's four guns) but had an extra fuel tank in the rear part of its fuselage and could carry up to a 1-ton payload of bombs. The Me262 A-2a would see active service up till the end of World War II.
About the Kettenkraftrad
The German Army produced a unique half-track motorcycle deployed to the front lines and known as the NSU Kettenkraftrad. Originally intended to be used by airborne units, this vehicle went into production on a massive scale and was used for a variety of functions such as providing a power source, as well as for transportation, communications, and towing. One of the Kettenkraftrad highlight features was its three forward gears and one reverse gear, which each had high/low gears, permitting the half-track to take on rugged terrain. Due to fuel shortages at the end of the war, the Me262 was restricted from self-propelled ground movement when positioning for take-off. As such, the Kettenkraftrad and other ground vehicles were used to pull the Me262 to the runway.
- 1/48 scale, total height: 221mm, total width: 264mm.
- Canopy and cannon covers can be assembled opened or closed.
- Two types of bomb racks are available for assembly.
- Replicas of two 250-pound bombs and two take-off assistance booster rockets have been provided in the kit.
- The front landing gear bay has been made of die-cast aluminum and is weighted for balance.
- The kit features a 1/48 scale Kettenkraftrad towing vehicle.
- Three pilot and ground crew figures included.
- Includes decals for recreation of three different planes.